Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy stands for?
Cognitive behavioral therapy is a psychotherapeutic treatment that will aid people to change their way of thinking as it needs improvements. To change a negatively influenced behavior to an optimistic one.
Cognitive behavioral therapy will have to change negative thoughts to positive ones that will help to ease up depression and anxiety.
There are many strategies to relax yourself from these diseases. You can have journaling. Or playing relaxation techniques and mental distractions.
There are several types of cognitive behavioral therapy. They are mentioned below.
CBT has a range of strategies that will help to address thoughts, emotions and behaviors.
The types are mentioned below.
- Corrects your pattern of thinking and forming a thought
- Dialectical behavior therapy helps in regulating emotions
- Multimodal therapy indicated to different factors like environment, sensations, interpersonal relations etcetera.
- Rational emotive behavior therapy involves in changing irrational beliefs and helps to you learn in challenging these kind of beliefs.
These all therapies include the changing of thought pattern in order to defeat psychological distress.
It is used as a short term treatment used for specific problems identified. They will focus on the following:
- Anger issues
- Bipolar disorder
- Eating disorders
- Panic attacks
- Personality disorders
- Problems with stress
It is an effective therapy in which both the therapist and the patient. There is also homework given to complete for the next session.
The underlying concept behind CBT is that thoughts and feelings play a fundamental role in behavior.1 For example, a person who spends a lot of time thinking about plane crashes, runway accidents, and other air disasters may avoid air travel as a result.
The concept behind CBT is very important as it plays a very fundamental role in the change of behavior as the therapy ends.
- For example, if someone thinks about accidents and crashes, they may tend to stop traveling by air.
The main basic rule of this therapy is to teach people that they cannot control everything that’s going around them. They should know how to interpret stuff and deal with the things that are happening around. They should know that it’s not in their hand, and it’s OK if it’s not something that you planned.
Most mental health consumers and treatment professionals tend to think that this cognitive behavior therapy is an effective therapy and it is benefiting both. And is also a famous one.
Because of these negative thinking patterns, people tend to engage themselves into a healthier way of thinking.
- If you opt for the street when you may never want to use the medication
- It does seem to be proven that people have been affected by this, and the effect is very good. It is obviously something that helps patient overcome bad behaviors and has bring optimistic ways of thinking in them.
- It is an affordable treatment
- Helps to coping skills so that it is useful
The negative thoughts can effect different life areas. Example, family, your romantic relationships, work and educational ways.
Identify your pessimistic thoughts
It helps you in learning how to help yourself in changing the dysfunctional ways of thinking and to improve your behavior according to it. People suffering from introspection has difficulty as the struggle is more. But it helps in self discovery and is an important part of the treatment
Try New Skills
Help yourself in dealing with knew tactics to engage yourself is also a good way of distracting yourself. In this you can practice new skills and have ways to avoid or deal with social situations which would trigger you.
Set Goals, Aspirations
To know what to do next is something that is very. Important in knowing where you stand in your mental health and it helps you to improve your life. A therapist will be a huge help for you if it will tell you about your words and you will be able to distinguish them.
This therapy involves many steps like identify the problem. Make a list of the solutions that would be made in this situation. Make a point of strength and a point for weakness for each solution. And choose a solution that could be implemented.
Keep track of your eating problems or your behavioral problems. That will help you keep record of your daily routine and this will help your therapist in order to have a clear idea of your progress.
It is a very normal basic process that will help you have a behavioral change and it is obviously seen to be as a progress as a report is being going through by the professional. By progressive working towards the goal of having a less pessimistic way of thinking. This will have your way to be more near to your gaol as it will be easier to achieve.
Relation of behavioral therapy and psychology
There are several challenges that people may run into during the course of cognitive behavioral therapy.
- It would just become difficult for the patient to have rational and healthy thoughts as they haven’t been thinking about it for a long time. It would be very hard for them to alter their thoughts.
- A psychoanalytic psychotherapy is also taken into consideration.
- The therapist takes an instructional role in order for the patient to work accordingly.
- People must have the will to change because otherwise nothing would work.
- The regular homework and self examination is very important as the therapy will only work if the per patient himself is trying to do himself good.
CBT showed that in 1960s there was a psychiatrist, Aaron Beck, who discovered that there are a certain types of thoughts and thinking patterns that usually contribute to emotional problems. The medical terminology that was given to this problem was automatic negative thoughts. This is what caused the. Cognitive therapy to begin.
Previous behavior therapies that were given to people were that there were punishments and reinforcements made in order to change the behavior and thought patterns. But this therapy is to change how thoughts and feelings effect behaviors and how it is possible to modify them.
CBT is the most searched therapy around and it has the most goal oriented steps that helps in order to achieve the motive easily.
- Important to treat psychological issues
- Physician can recommend you
- Check out the directory of certified therapists that can provide you with professional therapists.