What is Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
If you have BPD, you will feel unstable in Relationships, moods, thoughts, and behavior, even your individual identity. But obviously there are hopes. And there are obvious symptoms that will help you know your disease and will make sure that you get out of it as there are treatments and recoveries as well.
The term borderline personality disorder (BPD) stands for?
If you have symptoms of borderline personality disorder, Uneasily restlessness inside of you that will make you very doubtful about your emotions, your relationships, and even your identity. You will just tend to dislike everything that you have in your life and will make you irritating an agitated by everything.
BPD has intense reactions and overly intensive responses. They tend to be triggered by small things and be extremely sensitive due to little things that’s happening around them. It is likely to be said because of an exposed nerve ending or other reasons. And once there is something that has made them upset, it is very difficult to calm them down. These kinds of behaviors lead them to reckless behaviors. These overwhelming emotions are making them unable to think straight or have sense into what they are thinking. Hurtful things are said by them and they can act in an inappropriate way or even dangerously in the way that can make them feel guilty or ashamed of themselves afterwards. There are many effective BPD treatments and skills that will help them feel better and back in control of their thoughts, feelings and actions.
Good News: BPD is curable
Previously, as concluded, many health professionals have said that it is very difficult to treat borderline disorders, but now it is to be said that BPD is treatable and the person can be recovered very nicely. However, it requires a specialized approach. But it will obviously be needing rapid and correct treatments and support.
Healing is a way of breaking the patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving that is causing you stress. And it is to make your self in a functional way. It is not easy to change your habits that you’ve been doing from a very long time. Choosing to stop will be good. Or maybe acting in a new way will make you feel unnatural and uncomfortable at first but it will help you in the end. This is how you’re going to form new habits and that will help you maintain your emotional balance, and this will obviously keep you in control.
Signs of borderline personality disorder.
Do you identify with the following statements?
- I Feel empty and lonely
- I experience a rush of emotions like sadness or anger etcetera.
- I feel that I would be abandoned or that people would leave me.
- I have got unstable relationships
- I feel like my world would turn upside down and will be left no where to bee survived.
- I tend to harm myself. Cutting, burning etcetera.
- I tend to lash out, feel insecure or have this fear of judgment in me whenever dealing with someone important.
If you suffer from these kind of statements and you think that you tend to say these kind of things a lot in your daily routine, then you should know that you are maybe suffering from borderline disorder. This will obviously lead you to have a mental health professional to make an official diagnosis, as BPD can be easily confused with other issues. But with this, even if you don’t have any kind of support at that moment. You can have self help tips with this article in order to help yourself to have this emotional stability in yourself
Signs and symptoms for diagnosis
Borderline personality disorder has many different features. But for proper diagnosis, mental health professionals, health symptoms into nine major categories.
The 9 symptoms of BPD
- Fear of people leaving you. People with BPD are often terrified of being abandoned or left alone. Even if someone who is actually very loved can have this kind of feeling when the certain someone is going away from you for awhile but is not close to you for that mean time. This will make you do things that you have never done before. You may beg, cling, start fights or tend to know about your lovers movements or locations or even physically try to serve themselves from going. This will just do the opposite effect of keeping them with you. It will drive them away.
- Unhappy and inconsistent relationships. People with BPD have relationships that doesn’t really last long. You may fall in love quickly but you let the intense rush of moments make you feel like that they are your world. Or maybe that is the one who is going to make you feel whole is the wrong perception that you will get every time
- Fear of self identification. Sense of typical self is unstable. Sometimes you feel good about yourself and sometimes you loathe yourself. Self identification is very hard to make at that point. Because of this you tend to change regarding everything about you.
- Insecurity etcetera. You engage in harmful activities, sensation-seeking behaviors, especially when you’re upset. You may impulsively spend money you can’t afford, binge eat, drive recklessly, shoplift, engage in risky sex, or overdo it with drugs or alcohol. These risky behaviors may help you feel better in the moment, but they hurt you and those around you over the long-term.
- Life threatening behaviors. Thinking about killing themselves or making gestures regarding it. Or even attempting it. Hurting etcetera. Cutting and burning are common tactics.
- Extreme mood changes. Almost no emotional stability. Mood swings like sudden happiness or unending sadness related with no reason at all. They pass within less time.
- Emptiness and loneliness Feeling lonely or empty like there is hole beneath you. You feel like a nobody or even like someone who is worthless. So you try to find an escape out of this. They do drugs, drink alcohol, have unsafe sex etcetera. This just gives them the satisfaction they are looking for.
- Intense rage. Extreme anger issues. Less self control. Short temper like yelling, throwing things, or becoming completely consumed by rage. You may spend a lot of time feeling angry at yourself.
- No touch with the real You loose trust or continue having doubting thoughts. You start to have trust issues and have suspicious feelings about them
Common disorders that follow
Borderline personality disorder comes with many other disorders as a package:
- Depression or bipolar disorder
- Substance abuse
- Eating disorders
- Anxiety disorders
With this treatment others also get better. But its like something that may cure the other diseases but still you will have to struggle with BPD
It is believed to be an inherited diseases caused by biological factors and other external interpersonal and environmental factors like traumatic accidents in childhood etcetera.
If you have BPD, you are on high alert. Things feel more scary and stressful when you do with other people. Your brains gets irrational thoughts.
Create a new neural pathway, add a new response to your ways. Take treatments and meditations. This will bring mind relaxation and growth.
Personality is actually the way of thinking, feeling and behaving. These different gestures tend to label us like shy, extroverted, exuberant etcetera. These are the personality traits.
Personality disorders just mean that your way of connecting with the outside world is just different from others. It does not mean that you are not normal. These differences in your behavior tend to have you be caught in different situations in the most normal engagements of life. Example, relationship, career, and self affinity.
- Calm the emotional storm
- Learn to control impulsivity and tolerate distress
- Improve your interpersonal skills
Be emotionally stable
Don’t fight your storms. Don’t fight the impulses. Don’t fight the thoughts. Don’t approve of them but just suppress. Think without criticism or judgment. Focus in what’s happening now.
- Remind yourself that wrong feelings would go away
- Accept your emotions
- Believe in your sensations
- Observe on your feelings
Do something that stimulates one or more of your senses
You will have to deal with different strategies to deal with different emotions.
Touch. Try running cold or hot water on your hands. Like holding an ice etcetera. And if you are not feeling at all then shower or cuddle etcetera.
Taste. Try high flavored stuff like mints, salt and vinegar chips or hot soup etcetera
Smell. Light a scented candle, smell flowers, or spray a perfume.
Sight. Watch captivating pictures or movies.
Sound. Try loud music. Ring a buzzer or soothing voices.
Stop yourself from being emotionally weak
You may experience negative feelings when you are in stress. Try taking care of physical and mental care.
Take care of yourself by:
- Use relaxation strategies
- Decrease stress from your life
- Exercise daily
- Have ample of sleep
- Have a balanced diet
- Avoid tranquilizers
Tip 2: Learn to control your feelings over emotional stress
These things were just for satisfaction. You just need immediate relaxation and relief and for that you tend to do stuff that are way on guard. Like cutting etcetera.
Control your behaviour
- Have tolerance to stress
- Don’t use self destructive tactics to deal with difficult emotions
The toolkit teaches you how to:
- Stay calm in intense situations
- Cope up with intense feelings
- Learn to control overwhelming sensations or feelings
The toolkit will help you tolerate stress. It will teach you how to be emotionally stable and will help you experience emotions. Fully. It will help you to have positive emotions and be optimistic towards the situations in your life. And will help you get no negative feelings at all.
Regain control, exercise your thoughts
This following exercise will help you to put brakes on impossible impulsivity, and will help you. Calm down and. Gain control.
- Focus on your breathing
- Focus on the ground of your body
- Find comfortability
If the attempts to calm down yourself and not working, here are some things that you should try.
Watch TV. If feeling sad watch a comedy film. If you feeling angry or educated, try something relaxing.
Do something you enjoy that keeps you busy. Try going for a hobby like gardening, painting, playing an instrument, or reading a book etcetera.
Throw yourself into work. Engage yourself into household chores or other work like shopping or maybe writing. Or maybe your job work etcetera.
Get active. Try vigorous exercise. In order to have adrenaline pump and let off the steam that you bee bottling up inside.
Call a friend. Call a friend or talk to someone you trust and distract yourself through it.
Improve your communication with other people
Because of this disorder you may have problems Having a good stable relationship. Because of this, the problems in having interpersonal relationships with other people have other difficulties which you may see in your life.
You struggle to make a decision or stepping back, or listen to others perspectives or maybe tend to mistreat thoughts and feelings of others. You tend to misunderstand how they’re seeing you or overlook the effect they have by your behavior, you tend to be misleaded by the thoughts that you have in your mind.
Because of this disease you tend to assume a lot and by this you assume always the negative side of it and this is the misreading of that. Always remember that you are not a mind reader. An instead of jumping into negative conclusions. You should consider alternative motivations as an example, you should call your partner whenever you’re feeling insecure or ask them if they have lost interest in you.
Look at various possibilities. Ask about their day, if it was stressful or easy etcetera
Ask for clarity. Ask whether the person is ok or not. Ask for their views.
Put a stop to projection
There is a problem with your projection of thoughts if you feel like you lash out on other people because you feel bad about yourself.
Take time for yourself and then ask yourself the following three questions:
- Am I upset with myself?
- Am I feeling ashamed or afraid?
- Am I worried about being abandoned?
Take a break. Tell people how you feel. Discuss it.
Ask yourself how much you are contributed in fights. What kind of feelings does your loved ones have when they see you be unreasonable etcetera. This is how you can see a change in something.
Diagnosis and treatment
You should always consider going to a doctor in order to see. Whether you have any kinds of symptoms about this disease or not. It is better to have a professional help. The guidance counselors will evaluate you and make you an accurate diagnosis.
Find the right therapist for yourself
The support and guidance of a qualified therapist will help you make a huge difference in BPD treatment. This will be able to help you create a space that you will be in support of.
There are two therapies naming dialectical behavior therapy and schema focused therapy. This has been proving to be helpful. Education about the disorder, family support and social and emotional skills training can be able to Treat BPD cases as the treatment will be approached nicely.
Take your time to find the right person, the right therapist for you who understands you and accepts you as who you are and will be willing to help you the way you want the treatment to be. If you don’t ever feel uncomfortable in therapy, you are probably not progressing.
Don’t count on a medication cure
The medications given for this order this disorder may be helpful, but it is not something that you should rely on for the whole time. FDA has never approved the treatment of BPD as it is based on very little research that shows that it can be a help to curing the BPD disease. Therapy is more effective so you should try that
- you have been diagnosed with both BPD and depression or bipolar disorder
- you suffer from panic attacks or severe anxiety
- you begin hallucinating or having bizarre, paranoid thoughts
- you are feeling suicidal or at risk of hurting yourself or others